
Two teenagers are now at the center of a deadly mosque attack that is being shaped as much by what investigators found as by what is still missing from the public record.
Quick Take
- Authorities and news reports identify the suspected shooters as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Velasquez, 18 [1].
- Reports say three men were killed outside the Islamic Center of San Diego, and the suspects were later found dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds [2][3].
- Investigators reportedly recovered anti-Islamic writings, hate-filled messages, and a suicide note referencing racial pride [1][2].
- The case is being investigated as a possible hate crime, but the public record shown so far remains mostly secondhand reporting [2][3].
Identification and Early Reconstruction
Law-enforcement sources and multiple news summaries say the deceased suspects were identified as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Velasquez, 18, after Monday morning’s shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego [1]. Reporting also says the two teens allegedly opened fire on worshippers and were later found dead in a vehicle near the mosque from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds [2][3].
That sequence matters because it gives investigators a narrow window to reconstruct motive, weapons access, and timing, while leaving the public dependent on leaks and outlet summaries instead of primary documents. The reports available here do not include a police affidavit, coroner report, or charging filing, so the identification narrative is still early and unevenly documented [1][2].
Evidence Pointing Toward Hate-Crime Fears
Several reports say investigators found anti-Islamic writings and hate-filled messages on weapons and inside the suspects’ vehicle [2]. Other coverage says a law-enforcement source reported a suicide note that mentioned racial pride, and that a shotgun and gas can with an “SS” sticker were recovered near the scene where the suspects were found [1][2]. Those details explain why officials are treating the case as a possible hate crime.
At the same time, the public material still stops short of proving how much weight each item should carry. The note is described through an unnamed source, the hate writings are summarized rather than shown, and the search results do not include forensic logs, chain-of-custody records, or digital extraction reports [1][2]. That leaves readers with strong indicators but not the kind of documentary record that settles motive on its own.
What the Public Still Does Not Know
The reporting also says at least one suspect’s mother warned police that her son was suicidal and that weapons were missing from the home before the attack [2]. If that timeline is confirmed in the original call record, it would sharpen the question of how quickly the threat was recognized and whether intervention was possible. For now, though, those facts remain filtered through secondary summaries rather than released dispatch records.
Two alleged shooters in the deadly attack outside the Islamic Center of San Diego have been identified as Cain Clark and Caleb Velasquez.
The suspects were reportedly found dead nearby after the shooting, as investigators examine anti-Islamic writings and possible hate-crime…
— Erik Hoffmann (@TheErikHoffmann) May 19, 2026
That is where the case connects to a broader frustration shared by people across the political spectrum: major events are often narrated first by leaks, clips, and commentary, while the underlying records arrive later or not at all. When the victims are at a mosque and the alleged evidence points toward anti-Muslim hatred, the case also becomes instantly polarized. The public deserves a fuller record before political actors and online commentators lock in their preferred version.
Why This Case Will Stay in the Spotlight
The San Diego shooting is likely to remain a major story because it combines a mass-casualty attack, reported extremist messaging, and two teenage suspects who cannot explain themselves publicly [2][3]. The age of one suspect also raises privacy questions that can limit access to school, family, and medical records, which may matter for understanding what happened before the shooting. Until official records are released, the strongest takeaway is simple: the facts are serious, but the public evidence is still incomplete.
Sources:
[1] YouTube – Green-Haired Mosque Shooting Suspect Would Help …
[2] YouTube – Who Is Cain Clark? Star Wrestler Linked To DEADLY San Diego …
[3] Web – 2026 Islamic Center of San Diego shooting – Wikipedia








